Sunday, June 24, 2012

Oil lamps

First I wanted to do something very simple for this assignment. So I did hollow clay balls from two pieces and shaped them irregulary by rolling them against the table. My goal was to have a feeling of naturally shaped rocks. Then I cut a hole for the metal heart and continue to shape the ball and fix then the hole. The glazing was problematic -I didn't get enough  on the first time so I done some more rounds to fix things.

Last thing was to make a water proof test. I filled them and placed on a piece of paper for overnight. Luckily the paper stayed dry and the lumps are safe to use.

After I finnished the balls I got the real idea for the oil lamp -Tulitintti (Firebird)! The technigue for them was to draw with a dark glaze on a light glaze that have a same base receipt -kind of the same idea of Majolica. For that I done lots of test pieces to practise with the hand and brush -there is no place for mistakes with this technigue. If you mess it up you must wash away everything. For the birdies I had also two glazing rounds to fix some small beauty spots.




No comments:

Post a Comment